The Canadian Experience Class is for skilled workers who have at least one year of Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.

Minimum requirements

You must

  • have at least 1 year of legal skilled work experience in Canada

Your skilled work experience must have been paid work including paid wages or earned commission. Immigration does not count volunteer work or unpaid internships.

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • managerial jobs (skill level 0)
  • professional jobs (skill type A)
  • technical jobs and skilled trades (skill type B)

Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Self-employment and student work experience

Self-employment and work experience gained while you were a full-time student (even if you were on a co-op work term) doesn’t count towards the minimum requirements for this program.


There is no education requirement for the Canadian Experience Class.

If you want to improve your rank in the Express Entry pool for immigration purposes using education you can provide proof of your Canadian or foreign secondary and/or post secondary education.

Language ability

You must:

    • Canadian Language Benchmark 7 for NOC 0 or A jobs or
    • Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for NOC B jobs


Your language tests are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result and must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Click here to see the Federal government Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry –

Where to live in Canada

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

You don’t have to settle in that province or territory. Once you receive your permanent residence you may live in any Canadian province or territory, including Quebec.

Stevens and Associates have helped thousands of skilled workers successfully immigrate to Canada from around the world. If you are interested in coming to Canada as a skilled worker, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.