The Canadian immigration program provides several unique business immigration applications. Canada’s Intra Company Transfer (ICT) program falls under the International Mobility Program and is well-suited for foreign business owners who wish to expand their existing businesses to Canada. Spouses and children can also be included on the application and can be issued work and study permits, respectively. Once the business is established in Canada, the businessperson and his/her family may apply for permanent residence.

Intra-Company Transferee Requirements

  • Entrepreneurs who own successful businesses in their home countries can apply for the ICT Work Permit to expand their businesses in Canada;
  • The home company must have been operational for at least 12 months (but ideally for at least 3 years) prior to expansion;
  • The home company must be financially sound and capable of supporting operations in Canada;
  • The applicant seeking an ICT WP must have been working/engaged with the home company for at least 12 months in the past 3 years prior to the immigration application;
  • The home company must be related to the company in Canada as a parent, subsidiary, or affiliate company; and
  • In our experience, entrepreneurs must demonstrate access to funds in the amount of at least CAD $250,000 to invest in their Canadian business to cover the first year’s operating costs.

Requirements for the Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit

If it is an initial expansion of your company to Canada, then the steps are as follows:

  • Register your company in Canada as a parent, subsidiary or affiliate of your home company.
  • Prepare a business plan outlining the proposed business activity, market research and how you plan to run a profitable subsidiary in Canada.
  • Required documents include bank statements, articles of incorporation, evidence of investment funds, among others.
  • Applicants will benefit from a maximum of a 2-year WP after their first ICT application. If they are employed by a start-up, then the WP will only be valid for one year.
  • After one year of full-time employment for the Canadian company, the applicant may become eligible to apply for PR through the Express Entry program.

Stevens and Associates have helped hundreds of businesspeople successfully immigrate to Canada from around the world. If you are interested in coming to Canada as a businessperson, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.