There are three different types of temporary residents in Canada: Visitors, Students and Workers.

Temporary Resident Visa

A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

Requirements for a TRV

Applicants must meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. This is not a separate application. When you apply as a Visitor, Worker or Student a TRV is included as part of the process and will be attached to your passport. When you arrive in Canada, you will be issued the Work or Study permit detailing the terms of your stay. Visitors normally have their passports scanned and they are allowed to stay a maximum of six months before leaving Canada or renewing their stay.

Applicants must also:

  • satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
  • show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
  • not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
  • be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
  • not be a risk to the security of Canada,
  • provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility,
  • be in good health (complete a medical examination if required), and
  • submit your biometrics (fingerprints and photo) and pay the fees (C$85 per person or C$170 per family)

Stevens and Associates have helped thousands of temporary residents successfully apply for entry to Canada from around the world. If you are interested in coming to Canada as a temporary resident, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.