A permanent resident card is the document issued to new Canadian permanent residents that allows them to re-enter Canada from abroad. It is valid for a period of 5 years from the date of landing and can be renewed shortly before it is about to expire.

New permanent residents

New permanent residents don’t need to apply for a permanent resident card (PR card). Immigration will send one to you when you immigrate to Canada at your Canadian mailing address. You have 180 days after immigrating to send Immigration your address. If they don’t get it in time, then you have to apply for your card. There is a $50 processing fee for PR card applications.


To be eligible for a PR card, you need to:

If your PR card isn’t ready before you leave Canada or if you’re outside Canada without a valid PR card, you need to apply for a permanent resident travel document (PR TD).

You aren’t eligible for a PR card if you were asked by the Government of Canada to leave the country. If you are a Canadian citizen, you can’t have (and don’t need) a PR card. When you become a Canadian citizen, you give up your PR card at your citizenship ceremony.

Time lived in Canada

To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days.

Stevens and Associates have helped numerous persons renew their PR Cards. If you need to renew your PR card and want professional assistance, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.