Permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus must show a valid Permanent Resident Card (PR card) or Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) before boarding.

If you do not carry your PR Card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.
It is your responsibility to make sure your PR Card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada and to apply for a new PR Card before your current card expires.

You can apply for the PRTD if you are outside Canada, you have lost your PR card, or it expired while you were outside the country, and you need proof of your status to return to Canada.

Stevens and Associates have helped numerous permanent residents apply for travel documents. If you are in need of a travel document for Canada, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.