SELF-EMPLOYED PERSONS PROGRAM
The Self-employed Persons Program allows people to immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person.
- have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics
- be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada
- meet the program’s selection criteria and
- meet medical, security and other conditions
Cultural activities include jobs generally seen as part of Canada’s artistic and cultural fields. Examples include:
- authors and writers,
- creative and performing artists,
- sculptors and other visual artists,
- technical support and other jobs in motion pictures,
- creative designers and
Relevant experience for a self-employed person means at least two years of experience.
It must be during the period starting 5 years before the day you apply and ending on the day Immigration makes a decision on your application.
You can get more points if you have 3, 4, or 5 years of experience.
At a minimum, your experience must be:
- for cultural activities:
- ) 2 one-year periods being self-employed in cultural activities, or
- ) 2 one-year periods participating at a world-class level in cultural activities, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a), and a one-year period described in (b)
- for athletics:
- ) 2 one-year periods being self-employed in athletics, or
- ) 2 one-year periods participating at a world class level in athletics, or
- a combination of a one-year period described in (a) above, and a one-year period described in (b) above
You are assessed on selection criteria that include your:
- language abilities
- medical and security checks for you and your family
- proof of funds to support yourself and your family in Canada
Stevens and Associates have helped hundreds of businesspeople successfully immigrate to Canada from around the world. If you are interested in coming to Canada as a businessperson, please complete our basic information form and send it to us for a free assessment.